Monday, September 6, 2010

September 6th - The Rooster

There's a rooster in our neighborhood, across the alley from our house and a few doors west.  I heard him this morning as I got my bike out from the basement and rolled it through the backyard and into the alley, where I begin and end my bike commute.  That alley is like closure to me, I see it twice a day.  On garbage pickup days sometimes I have to wait for the truck to clear the alley first; other times the truck follows me.  It's Labor Day, but I went in to work anyway -- I get paid by the hour, and holidays aren't paid automatically, they come out of a bank of accumulated time used for vacation, sick days, and holidays.  I didn't want to waste 8 hours of paid time off on a holiday that I didn't have any big plans for.  Besides, I get paid overtime when I work holidays.  I worked on Memorial Day too.

The rooster wasn't taking the day off either; It was just me and him in the alley this morning.  It was nice to have some company.

1 comment:

Midtagessen said...

I had a lover who had a neighborhood rooster that would wake us up at an ungodly hour...that became delightful. Because of these delicious memories, I get a thrill when I hear a rooster. There is a funk song...Early in the Morning that I groove to on the way to work...it begins with a rooster crow. It claims that the early bird always catches the worm.